Railway

‘The Landscape History of Hadstock Parish 1777-2020,   Part 2: Field Systems, Fields and Ownership’, by Richard Dolby and Rick Albrow

‘The Landscape History of Hadstock Parish 1777-2020, Part 2: Field Systems, Fields and Ownership’, by Richard Dolby and Rick Albrow

This is Part 2 of a series of illustrations and notes which looks at the landscape history of Hadstock Parish over the last 250 years. It examines the major changes in field systems, fields and ownership caused by the Hadstock Inclosure Act of 1801, the arrival of the railway in 1865 and the USAAF airfield in 1942. It concludes with the 2020 field landscape and field ownership.

Bartlow Station, 1949-1966

Bartlow Station, 1949-1966

A look-back at Bartlow station in the busiest period of its life, when Hadstock parishioners could travel to Haverhill and Colchester, or to Cambridge and beyond.
These pictures were compiled by Richard Dolby and Hamish McIlwrick.

Linton railway station

Linton railway station

From 1865 to 1967, Hadstock villagers could use Linton or Bartlow stations, both part of the Great Eastern railway.